Why in the world are boat shows in the winter?
Jan 21 | 6 min
It’s January and while it’s been a mild winter here in Southwestern Ontario, boating season seems so far away. But fear not, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of boat shows to help you avoid cabin fever and before you know it spring launch will be here.
When looking at our boat show calendar, you might wonder, “Why hold a boat show in the dead of winter?” It’s a good question and one often asked by folks that are usually battling snow and ice and thinking about hot chocolate, not hot weather during the winter boat show season.
Here’s a few reasons why most boat shows are in the winter;
- Winter shows are popular because they offer the right timing when purchasing a new boat. Ordering early allows you to select features, colours and options and still ensure delivery by spring launch time. If you wait, you may not find the model and/or options you prefer.
- Boat Dealers are motivated to make sales at boat shows. They have ordered their new-model year boats and motors and want to sell inventory during the winter months and spend the spring / summer delivering and servicing customers.
- Many boat dealers offer special show pricing and manufacturer incentives. Generally, this is also a great time to make a deal on new previous year models that remain in inventory.
- New model year boats begin arriving at the end of the previous year and Boat Dealers want to sell inventory before they have to pay interest on it. Chances are best just before the season starts.
But why would you want to go?
- Be the first to see new and innovative boats, watercraft and marine equipment. Many new products are launched during winter shows.
- Attending a boat show is the most productive method to see hundreds of boats, trailers, motors, boating accessories, marine services, gifts, destinations, etc. under one roof. Think of the time and money you would spend to visit each of the boat dealers and marinas individually.
- If you are considering boating as a recreational option, boat shows offer a tremendous learning experience for new boaters. You can spend hours or days learning about what boat is ideal for your family walking back and forth between exhibits.
- Winter boat shows offer a taste of summer during the coldest months. Walk into the show and feel the warmth, see the boats, hear the music, experience the special attractions and participate in the promotions. Make the boat show your winter rendezvous to meet up with boating friends and get a mid-winter taste of summer fun to come
So here is a list of nearby boat shows in Ontario and Michigan in the first quarter of 2023;
January 14 – 22, 2023
1 Washington Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48226
January 20 – 29, 2023
Enercare Centre Exhibition Place
100 Princes’ Blvd
Toronto, ON M6K 3C3
February 3 – 5, 2023
Blue Water Convention Center
800 Harket Street
Port Huron, MI 48060
February 15 – 19, 2023
303 Monroe Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
March 3 – 5, 2023
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
9280 Airport Rd
Mount Hope, ON L0R 1W0
March 9 – 12, 2023
Suburban Collection Showplace
46100 Grand River Ave
Novi, MI 48374
March 24 – 26, 2023
Kingston 1000 Islands Sportsplex
1485 Westbrook Road
Kingston, ON K7P 3A1
Regretfully, Windsor no longer has a boat show but you can find RAW Watersports at the Windsor Home & Garden Show, March 31- April 2